FRIED EGG SANDWICH WITH ROASTED RED PEPPERS ONIONS AND PROVOLONE CHEESEFrom cuzpat 6 years ago
- MAKES 4 SANDWICHES shopping list
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut in half, stem and seeds removed shopping list
- 4 slices sweet onion, about 1/2-inch thick shopping list
- 2 teaspoons olive oil shopping list
- 4 large or extra-large eggs shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- Thinly sliced provolone or asiago cheese shopping list
- fresh basil, arugula or baby spinach leaves (optional, but good) shopping list
- 8 slices good sandwich bread shopping list
- mayonnaise or best salad dressing(optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat broiler on high. Place the peppers, cut-side down, on a baking sheet lined with foil for easy cleanup. Add the onion slices in one layer. Broil as close to the element as possible, until peppers are well charred, turning onion slices halfway through. Remove from oven and cover with foil until the peppers are cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Remove the skin from the peppers and slice into thin strips. Separate the onions into rings.
- For the eggs, heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and stir with a spatula, just until the yolks combine slightly with the whites. Season with salt and pepper. When the eggs are cooked, top with onions, pepper strips and cheese. Cover, remove from the heat, and let set just until the cheese starts to melt, about one minute. Meanwhile, lightly toast the bread. If desired, spread with a thin layer of mayonnaise. Cut the eggs into sandwich-size portions. Place each on one slice of bread, lay several greens on top, then top with the remaining bread slices. Cut in half and serve immediately. Any extra peppers and onions may be tossed together, seasoned with salt and pepper, and served on the side.