Cherry PieFrom fluffy24 3 years ago
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, plus more for dusting shopping list
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 cup sugar, divided shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt, divided shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, cut into small cubes, chilled shopping list
- 6 to 7 tablespoons ice water shopping list
- 2 pounds fresh cherries, pitted shopping list
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch shopping list
- 1 tablespoon milk shopping list
How to make it
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and cinnamon. Cut in butter using a pastry cutter or two table knives until butter is the size of small peas. Stir in ice water with a fork just until combined and dough holds together. Form dough into two (5-inch) discs, cover and chill until cold but not completely firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disc of dough into a (12-inch) circle and transfer to a (9-inch) pie pan. In a large bowl, toss together cherries, cornstarch, 1 cup sugar and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spoon cherry mixture into dough-lined pan and set aside.
- On the same lightly floured surface, roll out remaining disc of dough into a (10-inch) circle and cut into (½-inch) wide strips. Top cherry mixture in pan with dough strips, weaving them in and out to make a lattice crust and then crimp outside edge of crust. Brush crust all over with milk, sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and arrange on a baking sheet to catch any drips. Bake, tenting with foil if crust is browning too fast, until bubbly and golden brown, about 1 1/4 hours. Set aside to let cool completely before serving.
The Cookfluffy24 Cranston, RI
- Not added to any groups yet!