Braised Short Ribs With Chocolate and RosemaryFrom brilynn 10 years ago
- 2 strips of peppercorn bacon, diced shopping list
- 3 pounds bone-in short ribs shopping list
- 1 finely chopped onions shopping list
- 1 finely chopped celery shopping list
- 1 finely chopped peeled carrots shopping list
- 1 finely chopped peeled parsnip shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 ½ cups dry red wine shopping list
- 2 cups low-salt chicken broth shopping list
- 1 400mL can of diced tomatoes shopping list
- 1 T mixed herb paste shopping list
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 2 ½ tablespoons shaved bittersweet chocolate shopping list
- 1 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-process) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat heavy large pot over medium heat. Add bacon and sauté until crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Working in batches, brown ribs in drippings in pot over medium-high heat until brown on all sides. Transfer to plate.
- Add onions and next 4 ingredients to pot. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook until vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add wine. Boil uncovered until liquid is reduced by half, scraping up browned bits. Add broth, tomatoes, herbs, thyme, bay leaf, and bacon.
- Return ribs to pot, making sure they’re covered in sauce, cover partially, and put in the over for about 1 ½ hours. Uncover and simmer until rib meat is tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 1/2 hours longer or more if you have the time.
- Transfer ribs to plate; discard bay leaf.
- Boil sauce until beginning to thicken, about 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add chocolate, cocoa powder, and rosemary; stir until chocolate melts. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return ribs to pot. Simmer to rewarm, about 5 minutes.