Moong DhalFrom LaCheshireChat 5 years ago
- 250g moong dhal (washed well in a fine sieve until no more colour comes off) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped shopping list
- 1 ½ litres water shopping list
- 60 ml oil shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds shopping list
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped shopping list
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, minced shopping list
- 180ml chopped tomatoes (I use tinned) shopping list
- 2 teaspoons turmeric shopping list
- 2 teaspoons garam masala shopping list
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder (I use ground cayenne) shopping list
How to make it
- Place washed dhal, salt, onions and water in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so to prevent sticking.
- Meanwhile, as the dhal cooks, heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Add the cumin, mustard seeds and garlic. (Add the optional fresh ginger root now, if using.) Cook, stirring constantly for two minutes or until the garlic turns opaque.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric, garam masala and chilli powder/cayenne. Cook for an additional two minutes or so.
- Add to the moong dhal when it is finished simmering and stir in well. Allow to cook for an additional five minutes.
The CookLaCheshireChat Côtes D'Armor, France
- Not added to any groups yet!