Grandma's Lemon Meringue PieFrom Kimskitchen 6 years ago
- 1 1/3 cups sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup Argo cornstarch shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups cold water shopping list
- 3 eggs - separated shopping list
- 2 lemons (grate rind from one lemon) shopping list
- 1/4 cup lemon juice from lemons - remove seeds from juice. Leave any pulp in juice. shopping list
- 1 tbsp butter shopping list
- 1 baked pie crust shopping list
- 1/8 tsp cornstarch shopping list
- If using alternate recipe you will need: shopping list
- 1/4 cup Country Time lemonade and eliminate the 2 lemons shopping list
How to make it
- Combine 1 cup sugar and cornstarch in heavy bottomed, medium size sauce pan. Stir in water and mix well. Stir in yolks from eggs.
- Bring mixture to boil over medium heat stirring frequently. Once reaches boil turn off and stir for one minute. Remove from heat and add lemon peel, lemon juice, and butter. Stir well.
- Spoon filling in to baked pie crust.
- Beat egg whites at high speed until foamy. Add 1/3 cup sugar and 1/8 tsp cornstarch. Beat until shiny and forms stiff peaks. Spread over hot pie filling. Seal to crust edges and "attach" to crust as meringue will shrink while baking. Swirl meringue to decorate top of pie.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees until browned - approx 15 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Do not cut until completely cool.
- I usually bake and serve same day. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Alternate recipe:
- Add 1/4 cup Country Time Lemonade mix after eggs. Eliminate lemon juice and grated peel. You cannot tell the difference!
The CookKimskitchen Nashville, NC
- Not added to any groups yet!