Best Lentil Soup EVERFrom Eliza Kessler 9 years ago
- aprox 250g red lentils (more or less depending on how thick you want it) shopping list
- 1 Large carrot - chopped shopping list
- 1 Large onion - chopped shopping list
- 1 clove of garlic - crushed shopping list
- 1 Tin Tomoatoes (normal size) shopping list
- 1 - 1 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds - crushed/Powdered Cumin shopping list
- chicken/vegetable stock shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 2 tbsp olive oil shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry off the onion, carrot and garlic with the crushed cumin seeds until all are soft. This should take about 7 minutes.
- When that is done add the tin of tomatoes and use a hand held blender etc to liquidise the mixture. It can still have some chunks to it and doesnt need to be too thoroughly done.
- Add the lentils and enough stock to cover the mixture roughly twice over - ie 2 parts stock to 1 part vegetable mixture.
- Season and bring to the boil - then simmer for about 30 mins or however long it takes until the lentils are soft. You may have to add more water during the cooking time.
- This can be served as is for a chunky soup or can be liquidized again for a smoother consistency.
- This is also great if you add 3 large handfuls of fresh spinach in the last 5 mins of cooking, especially if you dont use the tomatoes - and sometimes I put in chunks of Halumi before serving.
People Who Like This Dish 15
The CookEliza Kessler London, A
- Not added to any groups yet!