Chicken GyroFrom rodeogirl73 9 years ago
- Marinade: shopping list
- 1/6 cup olive oil shopping list
- 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 2 tsp garlic, pressed or minced shopping list
- 1/3 tablespoon dried mint shopping list
- 1/3 tablespoon dried oregano shopping list
- 1/3 tablespoon black pepper shopping list
- 1/6 tablespoon salt shopping list
- chicken Gryos: shopping list
- 1 2/3 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces shopping list
- 4 pitas shopping list
- 2 ounces feta, crumbled shopping list
- yogurt-Dill Sauce: shopping list
- 1/4 pound cream cheese, softened (can use low fat cream cheese) shopping list
- 2/3 cup natural plain yogurt (can use low or non fat yogurt) shopping list
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 1/3 teaspoon garlic, pressed or minced shopping list
- 1/6 tablespoon dried dill shopping list
- 1/3 teaspoon salt shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all marinade ingredients. Set aside 3/4 cup marinade.
- Pour remaining marinade over chicken pieces and stir to combine. Marinate, refrigerated, 2 hours.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add chicken and saute until cooked through. Work in batches as necessary.
- Transfer chicken to large bowl, removing batches from skillet with a slotted spoon. Cool.
- Divide evenly among one-quart size freezer bags. Divide reserved marinade evenly among chicken, shaking to distribute (1/2 tablespoon per serving).
- Seal bag, pressing out excess air. Refrigerate.
- Wrap pitas in foil (1 per serving).
- Package cheese in snack bags (1/2 ounce per serving).
- Place a package of chicken, a pita, and a package of cheese in each of one-gallon size freezer bags.
- Seal bag, pressing out excess air. Freeze.
- Yogurt-Dill Sauce: If substituting low-fat or non-fat yogurt for natural yogurt, strain overnight in refrigerator in a coffee filter-lined sieve.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl or processor.
- Beat or process until smooth. Divide evenly among small freezer containers.
- Cover with a sheet of plastic wrap, pressing down to cling to food. Apply lid. Freeze.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Warm foil-wrapped pitas in oven 10 minutes. Warm chicken in oven or microwave until heated through. Stir Yogurt-Dill Sauce and transform into Tzatziki by adding 1/2 large cucumber which has been peeled, seeded, finely diced or shredded, and drained.
- Top pita rounds with chicken, Yogurt-Dill Sauce, and crumbled feta. Add fresh, sliced tomato if desired.
The Cookrodeogirl73 Tacoma, WA
The Rating6 people
I made this last night for dinner and it was very good! Thank you for the post :) I just went by eye on the measurements and it went fine. One good thing with cooking is you don't have to have exact measurements like you do in baking! (never been mu...moresamjo in Gering loved it
Seems amazing.jakartainflames in Jakarta loved it
I made this and it is AWESOME!!!!!!dtour in Somewhere In Florida loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!