Breakfast log puff pastryFrom pointsevenout 6 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Fry bacon over a low heat in a medium skillet 'till almost barely crisp. Remove and blot excess grease from bacon. Cut/crumble bacon when cooled.
- Pour half of bacon rendering into an omelet skillet on medium heat.
- Saute onion in bacon greased skillet 'till translucent then add 'shrooms. Add a dash of salt and pepper and saute for about 3 minutes or until 'shrooms start darkening.
- While 'shrooms are sauteing, whisk 2 eggs and 4 egg whites together, salt and pepper to taste, and add to the omlet skillet. Use a rubber spatula to push the eggs around and create scrambled nouget clusters. Do not over cook the scrambled eggs.
- Remove the eggs to save. Remove the 'shrooms to save.
- Unfold the puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured work surface. Roll out the dough to even out the fold creases and pinch repair any tears. Do not roll the rolling pin over the edges of the dough as it will pinch the edges and cause the puff pastry to not rise properly.
- Place eggs, 'shrooms, bacon and ricotta along a long edge of the dough leaving 1/2" border. Roll up the dough. Moisten the ends and edge of dough with water and pinch to seal.
- Place the roll on the broiler grill centered in the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- While pastry is baking use the 4 yolks and make the egg-lemon sauce found elsewhere in my recipes. Do not use all of the lemon called for in the egg-lemon recipe unless you like a whole lot of twang.
- Remove the pastry from oven. Cut in half and place on two plates. Drizzle with egg-lemon sauce.