Tomato And Onion Salad With Basil AioliFrom keni 6 years ago
- 4 small or 3 medium-large, firm fleshed tomatoes, sliced shopping list
- 1 large vidalia onion, sliced(if not available, get the sweetest you can find! :) shopping list
- 1-2T quality olive oil shopping list
- 3t balsamic vinegar shopping list
- salt and pepper or season salt blend shopping list
- 4 large or 8 small leaf lettuce leaves shopping list
- goat cheese or feta crumbles shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, whole or chopped shopping list
- 3T egg substitute shopping list
- 1t Dijon shopping list
- 1/2t onion powder shopping list
- 1T fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 1/3 cup quality extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 3-4 T other oil(canola, vegetable, etc--you can use all extra virgin olive oil or NON virgin olive oil, if you love the flavor, but using another oil will make that flavor milder :) shopping list
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped shopping list
- kosher or sea salt and fresh ground pepper shopping list
How to make it
- In blender or food processor, add garlic, egg substitute, mustard and lemon juice and blend to combine well.
- SLOWLY add oil, just a lil bit at a time to emulsify(meaning don't let it separate). After about 1/2 the oil is added, you can add the rest and continue to blend well. It should be creamy and well blended.
- Add basil and salt and pepper and blend, again, briefly, just to chop the leaves a bit, and combine.
- Refrigerate at least 20 minutes.
- Toss all salad ingredients, other than lettuce leaves, together and refrigerate until ready to prepare.
- Lay lettuce leaves down on serving plate, top with tomatoes and onions, sprinkle with additional salt and pepper, if desired, and then spoon on small bit of aioli. Sprinkle with cheese crumbles.