Kaali Daal (black Lentils)From rescue_ranger 6 years ago
- 1 cup split urad daal (black lentils) shopping list
- 2 large onions sliced thin shopping list
- 2 green chilies slit shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- A pinch of asafetida (Don’t worry if you cannot get this it is a very strong garlic/onion flavor used in Indian vegetarian dishes I just like to get as authentic as I can you can order this from the internet at http://www.amazon.com/Barry-Farm-Asafoetida-Powder-oz/dp/B001GM5KLU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1282757031&sr=1-8 or you may get lucky and find it at a local Indian market) shopping list
- 2 large tomatoes chopped into cubes shopping list
- 2" piece of ginger julienned shopping list
- 1 tbsp garlic minced shopping list
- 2 tsps coriander powder shopping list
- 1 tsp cumin powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whisked shopping list
- 2 tbsps vegetable cooking oil shopping list
- 2 tbsps ghee shopping list
- 1 tsp cumin seeds shopping list
How to make it
- Soak the Urad Daal (black lentils) in a bowl of water, overnight if possible.
- Boil the soaked lentils with 3 cups of water, 1 sliced onion, green chilies, asafetida and salt to taste till they are very tender.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil and fry the other onion till soft. Add the ginger and garlic and fry for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, coriander, cumin and red chili powders and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Add the boiled lentils and enough water to make a thick gravy-like consistency and mix well. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the whisked cream and mix well. Turn off the fire.
- In another small pan, heat the ghee and when hot add the cumin seeds and cook till they stop spluttering.
- Pour this into the lentils (it will all sizzle) and mix well.
- Serve hot with a vegetable side dish and Naans (tandoor-baked leavened Indian flatbread) or Butter Chicken .
The Cookrescue_ranger New Baltimore, VA
- Not added to any groups yet!