Beef Empanada Pot PieFrom goodeat 6 years ago
- cooking spray shopping list
- 3-1/2 cups diced baking potato (about 1-1/4 pounds) shopping list
- 1 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 1-1/4 pounds ground sirloin shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- Dash of black pepper shopping list
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup beer shopping list
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can beef consomme shopping list
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion, drained shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted green olives shopping list
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar shopping list
- 1 (10.6-ounce) box refrigerated garlic breadsticks shopping list
How to make it
- INSTRUCTIONS: In Latin America, empanadas (em-pah-NAH-das) are small, fried turnovers or pies that are usually built around seasoned meat. We have taken the terrific flavors but abandoned the frying to create a soul-warming potpie.
- 1. Preheat oven to 350º.
- 2. To prepare filling, heat a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add potato and onion; cover and cook 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beef and next 6 ingredients (beef through garlic); cook, uncovered, 7 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Add flour to pan; cook for 1 minute. Gradually add beer, consomme, and tomatoes; bring mixture to a boil. Remove from heat, and stir in olives and vinegar.
- 3. Spoon mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Unroll both dough portions (do not separate dough into breadsticks); roll dough together, forming a 12 x 10-inch rectangle. Place dough on top of beef mixture, pressing to edge of dish. Cut 5 slits in top of crust to allow steam to escape. Gently brush 1 tablespoon garlic spread that is packaged with breadsticks over crust; reserve remaining spread for another use.
- 4. Bake at 350º for 25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly around the edges. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.