Turkish Eggplant With Ground BeefFrom luisascatering 4 years ago
- 1 Italian eggplant. cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices shopping list
- 1/4 lb organic ground beef (Niman Ranch for me) shopping list
- 1/2 cup sweet yellow onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 2-3 large cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 3 large organic tomatoes, finely chopped or crushed shopping list
- about 1/2 cup olive oil, for baking & sauteing shopping list
- 1/4 cup each fresh parsley & mint, chopped shopping list
- 1 tbsp double concentrated tomato paste shopping list
- seasonings: kosher salt, black pepper, greek oregano, cumin, pinch of cinnamon shopping list
- brown rice or rice pilaf, to serve shopping list
How to make it
- Saute onions in about 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add beef and seasonings to taste, mix well and saute until it turns light brown. Add garlic, tomato paste, tomatoes and mix well. Cook for a few more minutes until tomatoes begin to break down. Reduce heat to simmer.
- In meantime, preheat oven to 500 degrees. Bake eggplant slices that have been tossed in a little olive oil, garlic and sprinkled with salt on a parchment lined baking sheet for 10-12 minutes, or until they are almost soft. Add the eggplant to the beef mixture, lightly toss. Cover and cook on low heat another 20-25 minutes or until fully cooked. Add fresh herbs at the end and serve with rice.