Grilled Eggplant Rollups with Goat CheeseFrom luv2blocavore 6 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat grill (or grill pan) to high.
- Slice each end off the eggplant, stand it up on one end, then cut lengthwise into strips slightly less than 1/4 in. thick. Brush lightly with olive oil then season with S & P.
- Slice onion into rounds 1/4" thick, brush lightly with oil, season with S & P.
- Grill eggplant till tender about 2 min. per side (rotate halfway through for hash marks). Let cool on a wire rack.
- Grill onions about 4-5 min per side till lightly charred. Let cool, then dice finely.
- Mix cheese, pesto, onions, and about 1/4 cup of finely diced grilled eggplant (use a few pieces that won't roll well, like the two thicker sides with skin). Set aside. Just use as much onion as you feel like and save the rest for later. You don't want it to take over the filling.
- Take all but the smallest eggplant slices and cut them in half (crosswise). Smear a couple of teaspoons of cheese filling on each eggplant slice and roll up. Be careful not to over-stuff ... and try to get a little cheese on the edge where the roll will end to help seal it. Place seam-side down on serving platter, garnish with fresh basil. This amount of filling will make 20-24 rollups. Best served at room temperature with a full-bodied red zinfandel or cabernet sauvignon.
The Cookluv2blocavore Battle Ground, WA
- Not added to any groups yet!