M'hanncha - Moroccan "Snake" Pastry with Almond FillingFrom luisascatering 3 years ago
- 4-5 sheets of Phyllo/Filo, thawed shopping list
- 4 tbsp melted butter, for brushing pastry shopping list
- Filling: shopping list
- 9 tablespoons unsalted organic butter, softened shopping list
- 3/4 cup blanched whole almonds shopping list
- scant 4 cups almond meal shopping list
- heaping 1/2 cup powdered sugar, plus extra for dusting shopping list
- heaping 1/2 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 2 tsp. cinnamon, plus extra for decorating shopping list
- 1 tbsp. orange flower water shopping list
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For Filling:
- melt one tablespoon of the butter in a small skillet. Add the whole almonds and toast over medium heat, until golden brown. Transfer to a food processor and pulse until they resemble coarse breadcrumbs.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the remaining butter and ingredients. Using your hands, work mixture into a paste.
- Open the sheets of filo and keep covered with a damp clean cloth. Lay one sheet out and brush it with the melted butter. Take lumps of the almond paste and roll into short ropes. Place end to end in a line, just inside the edge of the dough. Roll the sheet up like a jelly roll and repeat with the remaining sheets until all the filling is used up. Brush each roll with more butter.
- On a round, parchment lined baking sheet, coil up each of the rolls into a large spiral. Brush with the egg wash and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden
- Remove from the oven and let it slightly cool. Dust liberally with powdered sugar. Decorate the top by rubbing cinnamon between your fingertips to create thin lines from the center to the outer rim, like the spokes of a wheel. Serve warm or at room temp.