Braised Lamb Shanks In Red Wine With Marchand De Vin Sauce And Slice MushroomsFrom THEHIPHOPCHEF 4 years ago
- 4 each lamb shanks, trimmed of Excess fat shopping list
- 4 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and diced fine shopping list
- 3 medium carrots, cut small dice shopping list
- 4 cups full-bodied red wine, shopping list
- 1 cup beef stock shopping list
- 1 medium (size) bouquet garni shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Season The lamb shanks with salt and pepper and brown them on both sides in a wide heavy bottomed nonreactive pot ( avoid cast iron and nonanodized aluminum) in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- 2. Set them aside. If the shanks are specially long or your pot is too small, you may have to brown them in stages. Pour out the cooked oil, replace it the the remaining oil, and add the onions, garlic, and carrots.
- 4. stir the vegetables over medium heat until the onions turn translucent and just begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Pour i 1 cup of the red wine is reducing scrape the bottom of the pot. While the wine is reducing, scrape the bottom of the pot to diglaze the pan and dissolve any caramelzed juices.
- 6. Put the shanks back in the pot, pour in 3 cups of wine, plus the stock or extra cup of wine, nestle in the bouquet garni, and bring to a gentle simmer.
- 7. Cover the pot with a sheet of aluminum foil and press it down in the middle so moisture condensing on its underside will drip over the shanks.
- 8. Put the lid on the pot and place the pot on a flame tamer set over a very low flame, so that the braising liquid barely bubbles, or slide the pot into a 325 F oven.
- 9. Braise for 2 hours, or until a skewer can be stuck into one of the shanks on a platter or on indivdual plates.
The CookTHEHIPHOPCHEF Atlanta, United States Of America
- Not added to any groups yet!