Santa's Creamed OnionsFrom hungrybear 6 years ago
- 20 pearl white onions, peeled about 3 lbs. shopping list
- 1/4 c butter shopping list
- 1/4 c flour shopping list
- 2 c milk shopping list
- 1 sm Onion, studded with 3 whole cloves shopping list
- 1 Bay leaf shopping list
- 1/8 ts nutmeg shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- dash ground mace shopping list
- 1/4 c Minced chives shopping list
How to make it
- Boil the onions in salted water to cover until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain well. Melt the butter in another saucepan, add the flour to the butter, and cook over low heat for 2 minutes. Do not brown.
- Meanwhile, bring the milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Whisk the hot milk into the butter-flour mixture and continue whisking until the sauce is smooth.
- Then add the cloved onion, bay leaf, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and mace. Simmer for 20 minutes. Strain.
- Add the onions to the cream sauce and reheat. Add salt and pepper, garnish with the chives, and serve.
The Cookhungrybear Miner, MO
- Not added to any groups yet!