Slow Cooked Stuffed PeppersFrom chefmal 6 years ago
- 2 Large 26 oz cans of plain tomato sauce. shopping list
- 1 small 6 oz can of tomato paste shopping list
- 4 Large peppers, whatever colors you want, sliced in half, stems, seeds and veins cut out. shopping list
- About 1 1/2 Cups extra-long grain rice, par-boiled shopping list
- About 1 1/2 lbs ground beef chuck or lean ground sirloin shopping list
- 1 Large spanish onion, sliced shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- Maybe a handful of bread crumbs to get the meat into a favorable consistency shopping list
- spices! For the meat: 2 Tbsp marjoram and parsley, 1 Tbsp smoked paprika and garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper shopping list
- For the sauce: 2 Tbsp parsley, basil, thyme and oregano. shopping list
- *Note: This seems like a lot of spices because it is. I need extra because my taste buds are damaged. You can always tweek it to the needs of you and your family. shopping list
How to make it
- In a large mixing bowl, put the meat, the rice, the egg and spices together and mix thoroughly. It's important to make sure the par-boiled rice is no longer hot before mixing it with the raw meat and egg, or they will begin to cook, and that would be gross. Add some breadcrumbs if you aren't happy with the consistency but it isn't required.
- After your mixture is blended evenly, scoop up fist-sized balls of it and shove it into the pepper halves. Set aside, wash hands VERY well.
- Might I suggest using a crockpot liner for this? I don't even want to think about how much cleanup would be involved if I didn't have those puppies. Anyway, once you've got your liner in, pour the sauce straight into the slow cooker, followed by the paste and spices. Whisk with a wooden spoon until blended. (for the most part) Put in the onion slices and the stuffed peppers, meat-side down. Cover and set on low for about 6 hours.
- If all of them don't fit into your crock pot, you may put half (or all of them if you don't have a slow cooker) into a preheated 275 F oven. Spoon 1/3 of the sauce and 1/2 the onions into a baking dish, placing half the stuffed peppers meat-side up with a little more sauce and spices on top. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 275 F for about 5 hours. (Or 350 for 2 hours if you're in a rush) Either way they will turn out amazing. Serve over fully cooked rice or eat it plain, they're sure to please.
- Happy New Year's to you and your families, I wish you much love, luck and success for 2011.
The Cookchefmal Bronx, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!