Southern Cornbread From Mtns Of East TnFrom sparow64 6 years ago
- 2 cups cornmeal mix (We used to use only Three Rivers, but can't find that in the area any more. SADNESS! lol White Lily makes very dense, crumbly corn bread. Don't buy it! Still looking for a really good replacement). shopping list
- BE SURE to get the mix, it already has leavening ingredients. IF you don't have conrmeal mix, add 3 T baking powder and 1/2 t salt shopping list
- 2 eggs, beaten shopping list
- 2 C buttermilk shopping list
- about 1/4 c or just under, bacon grease shopping list
- 10 inch iron skillet shopping list
How to make it
- Generously rub bacon grease all over bottom and sides of iron skillet
- Preheat oven to 475 and put greased skillet in oven while preheating
- Stir together cornmeal mix, beaten eggs, and buttermilk, just until lumps are gone.
- Batter will resemble a thick cake batter
- Remove pan from oven and pour hot grease into batter
- Stir til just blended
- Pour batter into hot skillet and bake about 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack and invert onto plate to slice and serve.
The Cooksparow64 Sweetwater, TN
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!