Moules A La Creme (mussles In Cream Sauce)From mrcooksalot 6 years ago
- 2lbs mussels, cleaned shopping list
- 1/2 a bottle white wine (I used a chenin blanc) shopping list
- 4 tablespoons creme fraiche shopping list
- 1 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 1 cup 1/2 and half shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 large bunch parsley shopping list
- 1 large bunch chives shopping list
- 5 shallots (or 1 large onion) chopped finely shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic chopped finely shopping list
- 1/2 stick butter shopping list
How to make it
- Soften the shallots and garlic with the thyme and bay leaves in the melted butter over a medium heat for five minutes. Turn up the heat, then add the wine, cream, half and 1/2 and creme fraiche. Simmer for five minutes to burn off the alcohol, and, while the wine mixture is bubbling, tip all the cleaned mussels in. Slam the lid on. The mussels, already pretty grumpy that you’ve removed a useful body part, (Beard) will expire in the steam, giving their salty juices to the sauce – you don’t need to add salt yourself.
- Keep the lid on for three minutes, then check the pan. Fish out as many that have opened as you can, and put them in a serving dish (I use large salad bowls – there’s a lot of shell in there). Put the lid back on and steam for three more minutes – they should now all be open. (Discard any closed ones; they were probably dead before you cooked them.) Take the mussels out, leaving the sauce in the pan. Stir the chives and parsley into the hot sauce, leave it for a minute to allow any sand or grit to settle and spoon it over the open shells.
- Serve with a French bagguette to dip into the heavenly sauce...