Moms Stuffed PeppersFrom darbar 7 years ago
- 1 egg, preferably organic shopping list
- 3 green peppers, cut in half horizontally, stems and seed removed shopping list
- 1-1/4 lbs. ground sirloin shopping list
- 2 15oz. can tomato sauce shopping list
- 1 8oz. can tomato sauce shopping list
- 1 cup uncooked white rice (not converted) shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 yellow onion chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Beat up the egg in a large bowl.
- Mix everything except the one of the 15 oz. cans and the 8 oz. can of tomato sauce together in the bowl with the egg until all is incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Set the pepper halves in a large stock pot with 1/4 cup of water in the bottom. Try to make sure the peppers are not going to fall over.
- Pack each of the pepper halves with the mixture, mounding up as necessary to use all of the filling. If there is extra filling just let it fall around the peppers. Pour second 15 oz. can of tomato sauce evenly over the peppers and filling.
- Bring water to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 40 minutes, then drizzle 8 oz. can of tomato sauce evenly over each pepper. Make sure there is still water in the bottom. If water is all gone, add a tablespoon or two as necessary. Re-cover and simmer for 10 minutes longer or until rice is done and meat is cooked through. Serve with hunks of crusty bread. Freeze whatever you don't eat. It reheats beautifully for leftovers.