Queso Blanco CheeseFrom chefloren 4 years ago
How to make it
- 1. Pour milk into thick bottomed stockpot and heat on stove to 180 °F stirring constantly so that milk doesn't scorch.
- 2. While steering, slowly dribble in the vinegar.
- 3. Keep stirring for 10-15 minutes to thoroughly curdle the milk.
- 4. Line a colander with a fine cheesecloth and place in sink (unless want to retain whey).
- 5. Ladle or pour the curdled milk through the colander, draining whey down sink or into a bowl.
- 6. Allow the curds to cool for about 20 minutes.
- 7. Tie the four corners of the cheese cloth together and hang to further drain whey for 5-7 hours (until it stops dripping).
- 8. Remove from cheesecloth and use immediately or store in a container in fridge.
- 9. As Queso Blanco is a simple moist cheese, it has a short shelf life, consume within 1 week.
- It's a low temp melting cheese. Works great used in Lasagna.
- Your going to have quite a bit of whey left over after this process. I usually keep some in a glass bottle, in the fridge. I use it in my baked goods where the recipe calls for water. My baked good sure seem to be a lot lighter and fluffier.