Shiitake Leek and Roasted Garlic SoupFrom darbar 6 years ago
- 2 whole garlic heads, with outer layers of skin removed shopping list
- 4 large leeks, cleaned and chopped (the white and tender green parts) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups dry white wine shopping list
- 6 large potatoes, scrubbed and cubed shopping list
- 6 cups vegetable broth shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron (optional) shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper shopping list
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped shopping list
- 2 cups shitake mushrooms, chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Bake garlic heads for an hour, uncovered in an oven preheated to 350° F.
- Cool, peel or squeeze the garlic cloves into a small bowl, mash into a puree.
- In a stock pot, sauté leeks and mushrooms in olive oil until tender, add wine, continue cooking until reduced to 1/3.
- Add potatoes, stock, garlic purée, saffron, bay leaf, thyme and a few grindings of black or white pepper.
- Stir, simmer over medium heat until the potatoes are tender.
- Top with fresh parsley.
- Delicious with crusty peasant bread and a chilled Sauvignon Blanc.