Homemade Italian Meat Sauce (grandma's Recipe!)From mandapanda_42 6 years ago
- 1 can Whole Pureed tomatoes shopping list
- 1 can tomato puree shopping list
- 1 can peeled, crushed tomatoes shopping list
- 1 can tomato paste shopping list
- About 1/4-1/2 lb each stew beef, pork for Stew, and veal for Stew shopping list
- About 5 or 6 carrots, whole, peeled shopping list
- 1 or 2 pkgs Whole Italian sausages(depending on how many you want) shopping list
- 1-1 1/2 Cups bread Crumbs shopping list
- Chopped, crushed fresh garlic (to taste, but is a MUST) shopping list
- Chopped parsley (to taste, but a MUST) shopping list
- Little bit of olive oil for browning meats. shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- **NOTE: for the canned tomatoes try to find Progresso brand or Contadina brand because Hunt's brand gives the sauce a bitter taste. Also, some ingredients, such as the veal or some of the tomato products, may need to be bought in an Italian market or a butcher's shop or deli. You may add as much or as little herbs as you'd like, but the more you add, the more flavorful the sauce is! Just remember not to overload your sauce with herbs so that all you taste is the garlic and parsley. Other Italian herbs may be added as you feel necessary (such as basil, bay leaves, etc) shopping list
How to make it
- Brown the pork in the bottom of a deep pot. Remove the pieces and toss out once browned.
- Add the other meats and brown those slightly (they will continue cooking while sauce simmers).
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste (Add 1 can of water per can of tomato paste), carrots, garlic, and parsley.
- Let simmer for 3-4 hours, stirring every 30 minutes or so, tasting occasionally.
- **NOTE: If desired, you may add meatballs and/or Italian sausage about an hour before the sauce is done cooking. It adds great taste to the meatballs/sausage! (see my Italian Meatball recipe for great tasting meatballs!)
The Cookmandapanda_42 Arvada, Colorado
- Not added to any groups yet!