Notched Up Grilled Cheese & Tomato Sandwich Bread CubesFrom Good4U 5 years ago
- For the bread cases shopping list
- 1 loaf of one to two day-old bread, large enough to cut the crusts off and still be able to cut cubes from melted butter (about ½ stick 8 ounces?) shopping list
- For the filling: shopping list
- 1 ounce butter shopping list
- 1 ounce flour shopping list
- 5 ounces milk shopping list
- 1 egg yolk, beaten shopping list
- 2 ounces grated gruyere cheese shopping list
- 1 tablespoon butter 2-3 cherry tomatoes, very finely sliced or diced shopping list
- cherry tomatoes for garnish, thinly sliced shopping list
How to make it
- To make the bread cases: Preheat the oven to 350F. Slice crusts and ends off the bread to make the loaf rectangular. Slice in half and cut each slice into 3-4 even-sized cubes. Hollow out the center of each cube to form a space for the filling and cheese sauce. Brush the sides with the melted butter and bake for 5-7 minutes until the cases are golden brown. Remove from oven and place on paper towels to drain excess butter.
- To make filling:
- Melt the butter, add flour and cook for a few minutes. Remove from heat and pour in the almost boiling milk, whisking to remove lumps. Adding the egg yolk, butter and cheese. Return to the heat and stir with a wooden spoon, RESERVE a little of the cheese to cover the finished bread cases. The sauce will thicken over the heat.
- Fill and cook the bread cases:
- Preheat oven to 400F. Fill the bread cases with the sliced or diced cherry tomatoes. Top with the cheese sauce and a sprinkle of the reserved cheese. Place the filled cases on a baking sheet and bake until the filling is hot and bubbling and golden on the top. Slice a tomato on put on top. These can be made a head and quickly reheated.
The CookGood4U Perth, Canada
- Not added to any groups yet!