Sweet And Sour ShrimpFrom sosousme 5 years ago
- I pound shrimp, cleaned and deveined (thawed if frozen); patted dry shopping list
- salt and freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 1/4 cup rice flour (or if you don't have you can use cornstarch) shopping list
- vegetable oil for frying shopping list
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar shopping list
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar shopping list
- 3/8 cup ketchup shopping list
- 3/8 cup pineapple juice (take this right from the can) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch shopping list
- 4 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce shopping list
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (found in the Oriental section of the supermarket) shopping list
- 1 - 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use grapeseed oil or canola oil) shopping list
- 1/2 cup coarsely diced onion shopping list
- 1 cup diced bell pepper (I used orange and red, but you can use any color you like); cut into about 1/2 inch dice shopping list
- 3/4 cup pineapple chunks (I cut the big ones in half) shopping list
How to make it
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the shrimp. Put the rice flour in a zip-top bag, add the shrimp and shake until coated. Heat some oil in a wok or large saute pan; when hot, add the shrimp, in batches, stir frying them until just cooked and the coating is just getting a little crisp, about 1 - 2 minutes (do not overcook the shrimp or it will be tough and not tender). Remove each batch to paper towels when done, and repeat until all the shrimp has been sauteed, adding oil as needed. Pour off excess oil and wipe the wok (or skillet) clean.
- In a bowl, combine the vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, (or is it catsup?) pineapple juice, cornstarch, soy sauce and garlic chili sauce. Mix well and set-aside.
- Heat the wok over medium high heat; add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion and bell peppers, saute for 2 - 3 minutes, give the sauce a good stir then add to the wok along with the pineapple and shrimp. Stir until bubbly and thickened.
- Per Serving: 377 Calories (13.2% from fat); 6g Fat (trace Sat, 2g Mono, 2g Poly); 25g Protein; 59g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 173mg Cholesterol; 915mg Sodium.
The Cooksosousme Santa Rosa, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!