Potato PuddingFrom notyourmomma 9 years ago
- 4 medium potatoes shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- 2 tablespoons of butter shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder or one small onion minced shopping list
- 1 stalk of celery, strings removed chopped very fine shopping list
- 8 sprig or so of fresh parsley chopped shopping list
- 1/3 cup of sour cream or sweet heavy cream shopping list
- 1/2 cup of evaporated milk shopping list
How to make it
- Peel and cube potatoes, cover with salted boiling water and boil rapidly for 8 minutes.
- *note most potato recipes call for starting potatoes in cold water and bringing to a boil-G-ma Roberts said this method, par-cooked the potatoes so they stood up to later baking and they weren't mush to begin with. I believe in her method and follow it to this day. That is why we have tea kettles.
- Beat eggs until frothy, add melted butter (or bacon fat) salt, pepper, onion powder (or one very small minced onion raw) and one finely chopped celery and parsley.
- Stir in cream (sweet or sour) plus the evaporated milk.
- Drain the potatoes thoroughly and add to the custard mixture.
- Grease medium sized baking dish, pour in potato mixture and set this pan inside a bigger pan of hot water and bake for 30 minutes until a "silver" knife comes clean from the center of your glorious potato pudding. I don't have a silver knife, I suppose my stainless is okay.