Tofu BobotieFrom chuckieb 5 years ago
- 1/4 cup raisins shopping list
- 1/4 onion, chopped fine shopping list
- 1/2 tbsp. vegetable oil shopping list
- 1/2 tbsp. ginger, minced shopping list
- 1/2 tbsp. garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 tbsp. curry powder shopping list
- 1/8 cup cider vinegar shopping list
- 1 tbsp. apricot jam shopping list
- 1 1/2 tbsp. brown sugar shopping list
- 1/8 cup slivered almonds, toasted shopping list
- 1 500g pkg. firm tofu, frozen overnight, then defrosted and squeezed to release excess water, then crumbled. shopping list
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, diced into about 1/2 inch squares shopping list
- 1 19oz./540 ml. can coconut milk, divided in two shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- 2 whole eggs shopping list
- 1 banana, sliced lengthwise into strips shopping list
How to make it
- Soak raisins in warm water and set aside.
- Saute onion in oil for 1-2 minutes, add ginger, garlic and curry powder and saute a minute longer. Add vinegar, jam and brown sugar and saute to blend, about 2 minutes. Add almonds.
- Add plumped and drained raisins, then crumbled tofu and cook 5 minutes, stirring to blend. Transfer mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Soak diced bread cubes in 1/2 can of coconut milk, then mix into tofu mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To assemble bobotie, grease a 9" oven proof glass pie or cake pan and press mixture to fill. Can prepare to this point one day in advance, and keep covered and refrigerated.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Beat remaining 1/2 can coconut milk with two eggs. Place banana slices on top of bobotie and cover with milk mixture. Bake in oven for 35 minutes or until set.