Tomato SauceFrom iceviper 6 years ago
- 5 lbs. Italian plum tomatoes shopping list
- 2 small cans tomato paste shopping list
- 1 cup red table wine (may substitute water) shopping list
- 2 medium diced (small) onions shopping list
- 2 large peeled onions, NO SLICE! shopping list
- 5 cloves fine minced garlic (more if you're Italian) shopping list
- 1 handful pecorino romano cheese, finely grated shopping list
- 1 tsp. oregano (fresh if possible) shopping list
- 1 tsp. sweet basil (fresh if possible) shopping list
- 1 tsp. parsley (fresh if possible) shopping list
- 1 1/2 tbsp. salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup olive oil shopping list
How to make it
- Put tomatoes through food processor and set aside. If you like a chunky sauce go easy. If you like a smooth sauce, go to it.
- In a big saucepan saute sliced onions and garlic in olive oil until soft and slightly brown. Add salt, oregano, parsley and basil. Stir.
- Add tomato paste and wine, stir and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, Romano cheese and unsliced onions and bring to a nice SLOW boil.
- Simmer on low heat for 3 hours, at least. Mores better. Stir occasionally.
- Serve over pasta, enjoy any leftover onion, it will taste unbelievably good.