New Mexican Creamed Corn With Red Peppers And ChipotleFrom notyourmomma 5 years ago
- 8 medium ears of corn, husks and silks removed shopping list
- 3 tablespoons of butter shopping list
- 1/2 of a large red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into small dice shopping list
- 1 large shallot, minced shopping list
- 1 clove of garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 chipotle chile, in adobo sauce minced, optional if you don't like spicy shopping list
- 1 cup of heavy cream shopping list
- salt and fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- 1/2 of a lime squeezed. About one tablespoon of lime juice shopping list
- 1 tablespoon of minced cilantro shopping list
- If you do not like cilantro, please sub some flat leaf Italian parsley shopping list
- 2 tablespoon of Cotija cheese, crumbled shopping list
- Optional addition: 3 slices of thick cut bacon, cooked and crumbled shopping list
- Of course, keep it vegetarian without the addition of bacon shopping list
How to make it
- Grill the corn over low/medium heat until the kernels are just lightly toasted. Our goal is not to overbrown and cook the corn, it will be cooked more later in a cast iron skillet. Lightly does it.
- Cut each ear of corn in crosswise to ease in cutting the corn off the cob.
- Use a sharp knife to shave the corn off the cob. Use a coffee cup saucer to hold the fatter end of the corn cob and slice down, carefully. Use the back of a butter knife to milk the cob and reserve the juices from the cob in the saucer.
- Heat butter (or if you are feeling very wicked, use rendered bacon grease) in cast iron skillet until foaming and a very light toasty brown. Add sweet red pepper dice and shallot and cook for a few minutes. Add the garlic and chipotle and cook a minute more. If you are not fond of heat in your food, please leave out the chopped chipotle. Finally add the scraped toasted corn kernels and reserved corn milk. Add the heavy cream and cook until is thickens over low to medium heat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Very little salt will be needed, actually, since cojita cheese can be quite salty, as well the heat from the chipotle will be sufficient for most. Off the heat, stir in the lime juice and put in serving bowl. Top with cotija. If you are being wicked, add the bacon crumbles. Enjoy.