Jalapeño Bread And Butter PicklesFrom keni 3 years ago
- 2lbs pickling cucumbers, sliced between 1/4-1/2 inches thick shopping list
- 2 large vidalias, sliced, then slices cut into 1/4s shopping list
- 3-5 jalapeño, sliced(she always seeded and deribbed, but then added the seeds back with the rest of the seed ingredients, below...I do the same! :) shopping list
- 1/3 cup kosher salt shopping list
- 3/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar shopping list
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1t celery whole celery seeds shopping list
- 3T whole mustard seeds shopping list
- 1T whole coriander seeds shopping list
- 2t whole cumin seeds shopping list
- a pinch of turmeric(she didn't use this, I do :) shopping list
- ice shopping list
How to make it
- Combine cucumbers, onions, jalapeno slices and salt in large bowl.
- Toss to separate and mix well.
- Cover entire surface of the veggies with ice.
- Let stand at room temperature for 2-3 hours.
- In dutch oven, or similar, combine vinegar, sugar, and all spices(don't forget the jalapeño seeds, if using :)
- Stir well and heat over medium high heat, to a boil.
- Toss veggies once again in the melted ice water, then poor them all into a colander.
- Add them to the vinegar mixture then watch closely and bring the pot to just a high simmer.
- Immediately remove from heat and let cool.
- Once cooled, add to jars and either refrigerate if you'll eat them within a month or these can also be canned for longer preservation.
- ~~~a memory...she used to double this recipe and put them in quart jars. She'd save one back and take it over to my Nana's house so it could be processed when Nana was next canning. She did more canning than Mama, in the summer.... so, every winter, my daddy would get a nice surprise when she'd bring out her hidden stash of his favorite pickles. :)