17 Bean & Barley Soup With SausageFrom DetroitTokyo 5 years ago
- 2 cups (dry) TJ's 17 bean and barley or similar, soaked overnight & rinsed shopping list
- 6 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 2 leeks, trimmed & cleaned thoroughly - chopped shopping list
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed shopping list
- 1 cup carrots, sliced shopping list
- 1 cup celery, sliced shopping list
- 3 bay leaves (remove before serving) shopping list
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, roughly chopped shopping list
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes with liquid shopping list
- 2 specialty chicken sausages (I used Andouille), cut in half then sliced shopping list
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- sea salt & black pepper, freshly ground - to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Place beans & barley into a large stock pot See Photo. Add 4 cups of stock. Bring to a boil, stir then cover and reduce to simmer. After about an hour to hour and a half (check for tenderness), add tomatoes with liquid and bay leaves. Season lightly with salt & pepper. Bring back to a boil, reduce to simmer and cover.
- Heat about 2 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add carrots & celery and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes until softened. Add leeks and garlic, season with salt & pepper See Photo. Cook, stirring, for 2-4 minutes adding basil at last minute. Add to stock pot & reserve skillet. Add remaining 2 cups stock, and bring back to boil See Photo. Cover & reduce to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add about 1 tbsp olive oil to skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes, until browning. Add to stock pot and stir. Cover & simmer for about 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
The CookDetroitTokyo Detroit, MI
- Not added to any groups yet!