Creamy Chicken-potato Chowder With BaconFrom gkwillow 3 years ago
- 3 slices Applewood smoked bacon shopping list
- 4 Yukon Gold baby potatoes, peeled or not and cubed shopping list
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup frozen corn shopping list
- 1 pkg (8 oz) white mushrooms, sliced shopping list
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and chopped or shredded shopping list
- 2 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 1/8 cup flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup 1% milk shopping list
- 1/4 cup sour cream shopping list
- fresh dill, thyme, etc. shopping list
- salt & pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Saute the bacon (I like to snip the bacon with a scissors before cooking)
- Remove the bacon from skillet to a paper-towel lined plate to drain. Reserve enough bacon drippings in the skillet to saute the veggies for the chowder. (or use olive oil)
- Saute the onion, carrots, and potatoes until nicely caramelized and a bit tender. (I always saute the veggies for my soups instead of just cooking them in the liquid)
- Add the chicken broth and the corn. If you don't have access to fresh herbs, add dried dill (or thyme would be a nice seasoning, too) now. Bring the broth to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until the veggies are completely cooked.
- Thoroughly combine the flour and cold milk and add to the soup. Continue simmering and stirring until the soup is the thickness you desire. Stir in the sour cream, add salt, if necessary, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Finally stir in the fresh herbs.
- Garnish the soup with the bacon, or add to the soup. Or add some, and gave the rest for a garnish...
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cookgkwillow City, State
- Not added to any groups yet!