Slow Cooker CollardsFrom keni 2 years ago
- 2lbs fresh washed, trimmed and roughly cut up collards(this is 2lbs AFTER you've trimmed, so start with about 3lbs if using whole leaves) shopping list
- 14-28oz chicken stock(if you want them liquidy at serving, then use more ... if you want them as a drier side dish, use less. I never use the full 28oz) shopping list
- 28oz diced tomatoes shopping list
- 7-14oz diced green chilies shopping list
- 1 onion diced or chopped shopping list
- 5 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2t dry mustard shopping list
- 1/2-2t red pepper flakes shopping list
- several dashes liquid smoke(if you want or need to make this meatless) shopping list
- OR about 1/2lb smoked ham on the bone, ham pieces or bacon or other smoked meat shopping list
- plenty of fresh ground pepper and kosher or sea salt shopping list
How to make it
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low for about 6 hours.
- Check, stir, and adjust accordingly to taste and texture preference. Mine are always done to our desired texture by 7 hours, usually 6.