Roast Duck Legs With Spring VegetablesFrom hollyeats 4 years ago
- 2 Barbary duck thigh/legs shopping list
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped or crushed shopping list
- 3 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed in a mortar shopping list
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary (or 1 1/2 dried) shopping list
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon sea salt, to taste shopping list
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste (I use a lot!) shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 4 larger or 6 smaller new potatoes shopping list
- 1 medium fresh fennel bulb, trimmed of ferny bits shopping list
- 2 medium red onions shopping list
How to make it
- At least 2 hours and up to 6 hours before roasting: Combine the garlic, fennel seeds, and rosemary in a small bowl, mixing well. (Alternatively, whir in a small food processor until well chopped but not a paste.) Stir in salt and pepper, and combine with 1 tsp. of the olive oil to make a thick paste.
- Rub 2/3 of this paste into the duck legs and place in an airtight bag in the refrigerator for at least 2 and up to 6 hours. Reserve remaining seasoning.
- When ready to start (about 2 1/2 hours before serving), take duck out of refrigerator and preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Rub a baking pan with 1/2 tsp. of the olive oil and place in the hot oven for 5 minutes. Remove pan, place marinated duck breasts in it skin side up, and pour enough hot water into pan to cover the bottom. Seal with aluminum foil and roast for 1 hour.
- While duck is roasting, wash and chunk potatoes, slice fennel into 3/4"-wide strips, and cut peeled onions into sixths.
- After 1 hour, remove duck legs to platter and cover. Increase oven heat to 200°F/400°C. Drain pan. Mix remaining seasoning/marinade with the vegetables, stirring to coat evenly.
- Spread veg evenly in the pan and place the 2 duck legs on top to roast, skin side up. (The ducks will release fat into the veg so don't worry if there appears to be too little at this point.)
- Place back into oven. Every 15-20 minutes, remove from oven, set legs aside and stir vegetables. Replace legs and return to oven.
- After about 1 hour when the legs are brown and crispy, but the herbs have not burned, take legs out and set aside, tented with aluminum foil, for 15 minutes. Turn the oven up to 450°F/225°C, stir the veg and replace in oven until well browned.
- Stir veg through, draining away any excess duck fat. Replace legs on top and serve. Serves 2.
The Cookhollyeats Shaftesbury, UK
- Not added to any groups yet!