Traditional Southern Tomato GravyFrom mandymoore 2 years ago
How to make it
- Fry bacon in a cast iron skillet until crispy but not burned.
- Remove bacon to a plate, set aside.
- Reserve 2 tbsp of the bacon grease in the skillet and add the flour to it.
- Cook on medium low heat, stirring constantly, until the flour has turned a pretty caramel color.
- Add tomatoes, juice and all to the flour mixture and stir until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over piping hot biscuits, just as you would sausage gravy.
- The picture is not mine, but this is what it should look like.
The Cookmandymoore Wiggins, Ms
The Rating2 people
I have eaten alot of this also. It comes from England. I babysat as a teen children from England. Only when they make it they put a tablespoon of sugar in it. It cuts down the acid in the tomatoes.chelby1969 in Alliance loved it
Love this at brunch.Plate-licken-good.chelby1969 in Alliance loved it
I grew up on this also in the South and like chelby 1969 Ma would also add a "taste" of sugar to it then pops would add his taste of Tabasco to the tune of 10 hearty shakes.
Thanks for the great post Mandymoore
RRrescue_ranger in New Baltimore loved it