Five Spice Ice Cream in Sugared Wonton CupsFrom luisascatering 2 years ago
- FIve spice Ice Cream: shopping list
- 4 cups organic half-and-half shopping list
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder shopping list
- 1 vanilla bean pod, split and seeds scraped shopping list
- 1 round of candied ginger shopping list
- Pinch himalayan pink sea salt shopping list
- 1 cup granulated fine sugar shopping list
- 8 whole cage free organic egg yolks shopping list
- sugared Wonton Cups: shopping list
- 12 large square wonton wrappers shopping list
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted shopping list
- 1/4 tablespoons organic granulated sugar shopping list
- garnish: star anise shopping list
How to make it
- For ice cream:
- Combine the half-and-half, five-spice, vanilla bean, vanilla seeds, candoed ginger and salt in a nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil, then immediately remove the saucepan from the heat.
- In a large bowl add the sugar and egg yolks and whisk to combine. Add the half-and-half mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time, to the beaten eggs and sugar, whisking after each addition. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl. Transfer the bowl to an ice bath and stir frequently until custard is completely cool. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Pour the filling into an ice cream machine and follow the manufacturer's instructions for churning time See Photo. Remove the ice cream from the machine and transfer it to a freezer-safe container and freeze until firm, about 8 hours.
- For sugared wonton cups:
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Brush each wonton wrapper with melted butter and sprinkle both sides with sugar. Press into each wonton into 2 jumbo muffin panto create a cup. Place a ball of foil into the center of each (to prevent the sides from falling in while baking). Bake until golden, about 7-8 minutes. Remove from oven, slightly cool in tin, then transfer to parchment lined sheet or cooling rack. See Photo
- to assemble:
- place one large scoop of ice cream in each wonton cup and garnish with star anise.