Lindy's French Onion SoupFrom sosousme 1 year ago
- 3 pounds onions, cut in half and sliced (I don't slice mine super thin, nor super thick, just between 1/4 and 1/2 inch, what is that? 1/3 inch?) I used a combo half Vidalia (or other sweet onion) and half regular yellow. shopping list
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (or butter, or combo of the two) shopping list
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 2 large cloves garlic, sliced shopping list
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup dry white vermouth shopping list
- 1/4 cup dry sherry shopping list
- 6 cups beef stock (use homemade or a quality low-salt one) shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- Rind of the gruyere (if you have it) shopping list
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste shopping list
- 6 slices (about 1/2 inch thick) French bread, toasted in the oven shopping list
- 6 ounces gruyere cheese, grated or sliced shopping list
- Special Equipment: 6 (8 - ounce) flameproof soup crocks or ramekins shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil (and butter) over medium high heat in a heavy pot or Dutch oven; when hot, add the onions, str well. Once the onions start to cook and just begin to brown on the edges, turn the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until they are caramelized and very soft. Turn the heat up to medium. Stir in the garlic, thyme and bay leaf; sauté for 1 - 2 minutes, then add the flour, stir in and sauté again for a few minutes; now pour in the vermouth and sherry and stir, allow to cook down for about 5 minutes. Add the beef broth, water and gruyere rind (if using), simmer for 30 - 45 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Meanwhile: Toast the French bread slices in the oven and grate or slice the cheese.
- Ladle the soup into the crock, place a bread slice on top and top with grated cheese. Place under the broiler until the cheese melts, about 2 - 3 minutes. Serve hot!
- Per Serving: 401 Calories; 19g Fat (7g Sat, 10g Mono, 2g Poly) 14g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 31mg Cholesterol; 2200mg Sodium.
The Cooksosousme Santa Rosa, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!