Mary's Meatball MarinaraFrom hollyeats 4 years ago
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 2-3 cloves garlic, pressed shopping list
- olive oil to cover bottom of pan shopping list
- 8 large mushrooms, sliced (or use 1 well-drained small can sliced mushrooms) shopping list
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, chopped finely shopping list
- 2 14.5 oz cans chopped tomatoes shopping list
- 1 large can tomato paste shopping list
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried basil shopping list
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried oregano shopping list
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed shopping list
- 1 tsp salt OR 1 beef boullion cube (I used the cube) shopping list
- pinch allspice shopping list
- large pinch rosemary shopping list
- pinch cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1 crumbled bay leaf shopping list
- 1 TBS sugar shopping list
- Freshly ground pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 cup (or more) water shopping list
- Cooked meatballs made to your favorite recipe; reckon 4 per person shopping list
How to make it
- Cover bottom of deep frying pan with olive oil.
- Sauté onion and garlic until transparent.
- Add mushrooms and pepper, cook 4-5 minutes longer.
- Add remaining ingredients excepting meatballs, adding more water if it seems too thick, and stir to combine well.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on low, stirring occasionally, for at least 1 hour.
- Add more water now and then if sauce seems too thick, but it should be a thick sauce!
- After 1 hour, add the cooked meatballs and cook 15 minutes more, or until they are thoroughly hot.
- Serve on al dente spaghetti noodles with grated Parmesan and, if you wish, a few fresh basil leaves on top.
- Or, make sauce the day before and keep in fridge overnight. Warm slowly the next day and serve as above-- even more flavorful then!
The Cookhollyeats Shaftesbury, UK
- Not added to any groups yet!