Chorizo Split Pea SoupFrom elgourmand 2 years ago
- • 1/2lb (250g) green or yellow split peas. shopping list
- • 3 to 6 cups water, depending on how thick you like your soup. I usually use 4 to 5 cups. shopping list
- • 2 cups 3 cups stock. I usually use a light chicken stock but whatever. shopping list
- • 1 medium carrot peeled & diced. shopping list
- • 1 medium stalk of celery strings out and diced. shopping list
- • ¼ cup of chopped chives or spring onion tops. shopping list
- • 1 clove of garlic. shopping list
- * 1 small Zucchini, chopped shopping list
- • 1 tsp cumin shopping list
- • 1 good size bay leaf shopping list
- • A pinch of basil shopping list
- • A bit of watercress, if you have some on hand. shopping list
- • ¼ to ½ lb (250 – 500g) Mexican Chorizo. Remove the casing and fry this just a tad. shopping list
- • salt and a good grind of pepper shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Take the Chorizo out of the casing and fry it up, just a tad.
- 2. Put the Chorizo and all the other ingredients in a suitable pot and simmer for at least an hour. I use a Crock Pot and leave it cook on low for a spell. When everything’s very tender you’re ready.
- 3. Let cool a bit, take out the Bay Leaf and then puree with a wand blender. I usually make the soup a little thicker than I want it to start with and adjust that here with some stock or boiling water.
- Garnish with a sprig of cilantro or parsley and you are ready. May daughter likes a dollop of sour cream on hers and I’ve been known to grate a bit of Parmesan on mine.
- No, I did not forget the onion. I love onion but do not use it in my pea soup. Try it just once sans onion.
The Cookelgourmand Apia, WS
The Rating1 people
This Sounds Amazing - I Do Love A Good Chorizo and I Have Never Used It in Split Pea Soup. So I Will have to Give This A Try Real Soon As Our Weather is Getting Colder :) Great Post As Always Dear One :D Hugschef_irish in Gainesville loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!