Sour Cream Apple Coffee CakeFrom midgelet 3 years ago
- Streusel Topping: shopping list
- 1/2 cup granulated or brown sugar, or 1/4 cup each shopping list
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or cloves (optional) shopping list
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter or margarine, softened shopping list
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans, grated coconut, golden raisins, or chocolate chips, or 1 cup any combination , shopping list
- Batter: shopping list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon double-acting baking powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter or margarine, softened shopping list
- 1 cup granulated or brown sugar or 1/2 cup each shopping list
- 4 large egg yolks, or 3 large eggs shopping list
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream or plain yogurt shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, I used 2 shopping list
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (optional)- grated orange zest is also nice shopping list
- Filling: shopping list
- 1 cup peeled, cored, and thinly sliced cooking apples or, cherries, blueberries, raspberries, sliced peaches etc. shopping list
- glaze (optional):I omitted and place some nuts and sliced apples on the top batter shopping list
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract shopping list
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk or water shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (325°F if using a glass pan).
- Grease one 9-inch square pan,9-inch Bundt or tube pan, or 9-inch springform pan. Line with parchment or waxed paper, grease again, and dust with flour.
- To make the streusel:
- Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg if using.
- Cut in the butter to resemble coarse crumbs.
- If desired, stir in the nuts.
- To make the batter:
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time.
- Blend in the sour cream, vanilla, and zest if using.
- Stir in the flour mixture.
- Spread half of the batter in the prepared pan.
- Add ( spread evenly ) filling if desired.
- Sprinkle with half of the streusel.
- Carefully cover with the remaining batter and sprinkle with the remaining streusel.
- Bake unitl the cake is golden and pulls away from the sides of the pan, about 50 minutes.
- Set on a rack and let cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Wrap the cake in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To make the glaze if using:
- Combine all the glaze ingredients, stirring until smooth and of pouring consistency.
- Drizzle over the cake and let stand until set
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
Piece Of Cake376 members
Jewish Food Lovers100 members
Fall Dishes39 members
FROM SCRATCH148 members
Jewish Recipe Gems13 members
A Fruity World45 members
Cakes Of Any Type143 members
Cake OLicious60 members
International Baking67 members
A COFFEE CAKE Place23 members