Pan Fried Red Snapper In A Coconut Cream Sauce With Spinach And Red Pepper ToppingFrom PongoUSA 4 years ago
- 675 grams ( 4 fillets) boneless red snapper shopping list
- -- fillets shopping list
- 4 teasp. Whatever Whenever rub shopping list
- 1 tablesp. olive oil for fish & rub shopping list
- 2 tablesp. olive oil for pan-frying shopping list
- 2 tablesp. salted butter for pan-frying shopping list
- 1 can Asian coconut milk (not the one used in shopping list
- -- cocktails) shopping list
- 3 sprigs green onions shopping list
- 1 stalk lemon grass shopping list
- 1/2 tablesp. Grated ginger shopping list
- 1/2 tablesp. Whatever Whenever rub shopping list
- 3/4 teasp. salt shopping list
- 1/2 large red pepper shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves shopping list
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves shopping list
- 1 tablesp. olive oil shopping list
- 1 tablesp. salted butter shopping list
- 1/8 teasp. Grated nutmeg shopping list
- 1/4 teasp. salt shopping list
WHATEVER WHENEVER RUB
- 1 1/2 tablesp. paprika shopping list
- 2 tablesp. brown sugar shopping list
- 1 tablesp. garlic powder shopping list
- 1/2 tablesp. black pepper shopping list
- 1 tablesp. onion powder shopping list
- 1 tablesp. thyme leaves shopping list
- 1 tablesp. oregano leaves shopping list
- 1/2 tablesp. cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1/4 tablesp. turmeric shopping list
- 1/2 tablesp. cumin powder shopping list
- 1 1/2 tablesp. salt shopping list
How to make it
- Red bell pepper - Halve, then quarter one half. Slice into strips,1/4" thick.
- Green onions - Discard root tips & chop the onions including green parts.
- Lemon grass - Use only the bottom 7". Cut into 3 lengths, crush with a mallet & set aside.
- Ginger - Use a fine grater & grate.
- Garlic cloves - Peel, slice cloves & set aside.
- Spinach - If pre-washed then measure out 4 cups & set aside
- Fish - Place the fish on 2 layers of kitchen paper towels and thoroughly. Gently press the fish with another paper towel to dry on both sides. Drizzle a total of 1/2 tbs olive oil on one side of the fish. Sprinkle a total of 2 tsp rub, shared equally between the fillets. Rub with clean fingers, working the rub into the fish. Flip over the fillets & repeat on the other side with another 1/2 tbs olive oil & 2 tsp rub. Set aside.
- Cooking Method
- In a sauce pan, add the coconut milk, lemon grass, grated ginger, chopped green onions, 3/4 tsp salt & 1/2 tbs rub.On me dium heat bring to simmer. This should take a couple of minutes. Turn off heat. Do not boil or allow the coconut milk & its natural oils to separate. Taste & djust seasonings. Set aside so the seasonings infuse the sauce. Remove lemongrass stalkes before serving.
- Spinach topping
- In a saute pan, on medium heat, heat olive oil till fuming, add the butter. Once the butter melts, immediately add the garlic & red pepper strips. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the baby spinach leaves. Turn with tongs and let wilt, 2 or 3 min. Add 1/4 tsp salt & 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg. As soon as the spinach wilts take pan off the heat. Do not cover set aside & get working on the fish.
- In a heavy flat bottom frying pan, preferably a sat iron pan if you have one, on medium - high heat, (gas mark 8 in my case, shy of high heat) heat olive oil till fuming, add the butter. Once the butter melts, immediately add fish fillets in a single layer. Pan-fry for about 3 or 4 minutes without touching or flipping over. You will be able to tell when the fish is ready to flip - the sides turn from pink to flaky white. Very gently with a spatula, turn the fish over & continue to cook about another 2 minutes. By this time the fish meat should be flaky white & surface slightly blackened. Immediately remove to plates & assemble
- To assemble, place the fish on the plate. Pour about 1/2 cup sauce over and around the fish. Divide the spinach topping into 4 parts. Place one portion of the topping over the fish.
- Serve Immediately. Enjoy !
- Whatever - Whenever Dry Rub
- Place all ingredients, one by one in a screw top glass jar or any plastic container with tight lid. Close lid tightly and shake for 30 seconds vigorously to combine all above ingredients in a thoroughly dry airtight container.
- Store in a dry and cool place.
The CookPongoUSA San Francisco Peninsula, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!