Wayne's Eggnog Sweet Potato Pie 1978 ©From ChefWayneMichielReis 6 months ago
- 4 pounds uncooked and un-peeled sweet potatoes shopping list
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter shopping list
- 1/2 cup pure finely granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed) shopping list
- 3 large eggs shopping list
- 2 cups eggnog shopping list
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
How to make it
- First, hand wash your sweet potatoes. After a complete washing, boil the sweet potatoes until they are tender. Once potatoes are tender drain and allow them to cool before peeling and mashing. Blend your sweet potatoes in mixing bowl with a blender to remove strings. While you are cooking the sweet potatoes go ahead and place your butter on the kitchen countertop and allow softening. After the potatoes are ready, go ahead and preheat your oven to 350.Next cream the softened butter with both sugars. Mix in the blended sweet potatoes and continue to mix while adding the eggs one at a time. Finally, add your eggnog, vanilla extract, nutmeg and salt and mix thoroughly. Finally, pour mixture evenly into your three frozen unbaked pie shells. Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes at 350 degrees on your center oven rack.
- Makes 1 pie crust
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening, cold
- 3 Tablespoons ice water
- Combine flour and salt in medium bowl, cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, over flour mixture, tossing lightly with a fork until mixture forms an even dough.
- Form dough into ball and refrigerate, wrapped in plastic, for 1 hour.
- Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface into circle about 12 to 14 inches round.
- Carefully fold in quarters, lift gently and unfold into 9-inch pie pan.
- Gently press pastry against bottom and sides of pan. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch, then fold the edge under. Pinch edges to flute.