Sourdough StarterFrom jgnat 1 year ago
How to make it
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add sugar vinegar, salt and flour. Add remaining water until a creamy batter is formed. Pour in a large (1 litre), sterilized mason jar.
- Cover loosely with a paper towel and let sit at room temperature until it starts to ferment, about three days.
- The batter will take on a powerful boozy smell. Stir again until creamy and measure out what is called for in the recipe.
- Replenish starter with equal amounts of white flour and water and let sit out overnight before refrigerating.
- Store in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before using.
- The starter is ready to use again in a week.
- The starter develops a beery layer that gets darker as the weeks go on. This is what gives the sourdough it's sour taste.
The Cookjgnat Grande Cache, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!