Clams PosilipoFrom fewls 1 year ago
- 3 T olive oil shopping list
- 8 smashed and halved garlic cloves shopping list
- 1 T tomato paste shopping list
- 1 T Italian flat leaf parsley, plus more for garnish shopping list
- ¼ c chopped yellow onion shopping list
- ¼ c fresh chopped basil shopping list
- 3 dozen little neck clams shopping list
- 2 bottles of clam juice (optional) shopping list
- Pinch of salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 25 oz. canned whole plum tomatoes and juice shopping list
How to make it
- Scrub the clams, rinse thoroughly in cold water and place in a large pot.
- Add cold water to cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cook until the shells open about 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the clams to a large bowl.
- Discard any clams that do not open.
- Strain the cooking liquid through a chinois and reserve ¾ cup of this liquid as Clam Broth. If you cannot strain the broth, use bottled clam broth to avoid the sand.
- Return the clams to the pot, cover with cold water and stir to remove any of the remaining sand.
- Drain and rinse.
- Smash each garlic cloves with the side of a chefs knife and cut in half.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium flame and sauté the garlic halves until golden brown about 2 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon or tongs, remove and discard the garlic; if you prefer garlic in this broth, chop up 1/2 of the sauteed garlic to a fine dice and add back after the onions have sauteed.
- Add the onions to the saucepan and sauté for 3-4 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Coarsely chop the tomatoes, add with their juice to the saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low , cover, and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the tomato paste and add the basil and parsley.
- Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add the reserved clam broth and clams to the sauce and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 8 – 10 minutes or until the clams are heated through.
- Spoon the clams and sauce into a large serving bowl, garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
The Cookfewls Helotes, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!