Perfect Strawberry Rhubarb PieFrom luisascatering 10 months ago
- 1 recipe double-crust, all butter pie dough of your choice shopping list
- 3 1/2 cups organic rhubarb, thinly sliced shopping list
- 3 1/2 cups (about 1 pound) organic strawberries, hulled and sliced if big, halved if small shopping list
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt shopping list
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca shopping list
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces shopping list
- 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 teaspoon water (for glaze) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a well-floured counter, roll half of pie dough into a 12-inch circle and carefully transfer to a 9-inch pie plate.
- Stir together rhubarb, strawberries, sugars, lemon, salt and tapioca in a large bowl See Photo. Mound filling inside bottom pie crust and dot with bits of unsalted butter See Photo. Roll second half of pie dough into an 11-inch circle and cut decorative slits in it. Transfer it to center over the pie filling. Trim top and bottom pie dough so that their overhang beyond the pie plate lip is only 1/2-inch. Tuck rim of dough underneath itself and crimp it decoratively.
- Transfer pie to a baking sheet and brush egg yolk mixture over dough. Sprinkle with additional granulated sugar. Bake for 20 minutes then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 25 to 30 minutes, until the pie is golden and the juices bubble visibly.
- Transfer pie to wire rack to cool. When fully cool (several hours later) the juices thicken.