Monterrey ChickenFrom karynb 3 years ago
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard shopping list
- 1/4 cup honey shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast cutlets (I took two chicken breast halves and cut them in two, horizontally) shopping list
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces shopping list
- 6 oz pepper Jack cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups) shopping list
- 4 slices red onion (1/4 to 1/3 inch thick) shopping list
- pico de gallo (your favorite recipe) shopping list
How to make it
- Whisk mustard, honey, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper together in bowl. Reserve ¼ cup honey-mustard mixture for basting chicken. Transfer remaining honey-mustard mixture to 1-gallon zipper-lock bag.
- Place chicken cutlets in bag with honey-mustard mixture, toss to coat, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towel–lined
- plate. Reserve bacon fat. Once cool, toss bacon with pepperjack cheese
- Turn all burners of gas grill to high, cover, and heat grill until hot. Leave primary burner on high and turn other burner(s) to medium. (Adjust primary burner as needed to maintain grill temperature of 350 to 400 degrees.)
- Clean and oil cooking grate. Push toothpick horizontally through each onion slice to keep rings intact while grilling. Brush onion slices lightly
- with reserved bacon fat and grill until tender and lightly charred on both sides.
- Place chicken on grill, cover, and cook until lightly charred, about 3-5
- minutes. Flip onion slices and chicken. Brush chicken with reserved honey-mustard mixture, cover, and cook until lightly charred on second side, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove onion slices from grill and move chicken to cooler side of grill. Quickly remove toothpicks and separate onion rings. Divide onion rings evenly among chicken breasts. Divide bacon–pepper Jack mixture evenly over onion rings. Cover and cook until pepperjack is melted and chicken
- registers 160 degrees, about 2 minutes. Transfer chicken to platter and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve with pico de gallo and lime wedges.