Individual Stratas with Chard, Sausage & Caramelized OnionsFrom luisascatering 2 years ago
- 4 Tbs. olive oil shopping list
- 1 large yellow sweet onion, halved and very thinly shopping list
- sliced shopping list
- 8 oz. French bread, crust removed, cut into 1-inch cubes shopping list
- 12 oz. your favorite bulk breakfast sausage shopping list
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 3 cups roughly chopped rainbow or swiss chard shopping list
- 8 eggs shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Fontina cheese shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt shopping list
- freshly ground pepper, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- In a large, heavy fry pan over medium heat, warm 3 Tbs. of the olive oil. Add the onions, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are completely limp, 10 to 15 minutes. Uncover, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are golden brown and sweet, 35 to 45 minutes; do not let them burn. Remove from the heat and let cool. You will need 2/3 cup caramelized onions for the strata; cover and refrigerate the remaining onions.
- Butter 2 texas sized muffin pans (or 4 regular muffins pans)
- Put the bread in a large bowl.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, warm the remaining 2 Tbs. oil. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to the bowl with the bread.
- Return the pan to medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chard and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the bread mixture.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs and half-and-half. Pour the egg mixture over the bread mixture. Add the onions, cheese, salt and pepper and stir until well blended. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pans, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours.
- Preheat an oven to 350°F.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the pan. Bake the strata until golden brown and cooked through, about 25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.