Spinach Meatballs (Gaye's Version)From susanlynne 10 months ago
- 1 10 oz. block frozen chopped spinach shopping list
- 1 medium onion shopping list
- 1 clove garlic shopping list
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef, or one pound ground beef and 1/2 pound ground turkey shopping list
- 1/4 cup, each, fine dry breadcrumbs and grated parmesan cheese shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper shopping list
- 1 jar Classico tomato basil pasta sauce shopping list
How to make it
- Defrost spinach, place in strainer, and squeeze out all excess moisture.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Coarsely chop onion and garlic clove. Place spinach, onion and garlic in blender or food processor and chop finely. You can add the egg to this mixture; it seems to make it all blend better. Place ground meat, Parmesan and bread crumbs in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper. Add blended mixture and combine thoroughly. You can squish with your hands. Roll the mixture into balls the size of a golf ball and place in a jelly-roll pan or other shallow-sided metal baking pan. Place in oven and brown 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and cool enough to handle.
- Place meatballs and Classico sauce in a slow-cooker and leave to simmer on Low for several hours until ready to serve.
- These are better made the day before. They keep well, and they freeze well.
- I serve them with spaghetti or linguini. They also make great meatball sub sandwiches on a toasted roll with some Provolone or Mozzarella on top.