Spicy KetchupFrom jo_jo_ba 3 years ago
- 1 tbsp olive oil or camelina oil shopping list
- 1 large red onion, diced shopping list
- 6 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 6 lbs tomatoes, chopped shopping list
- 1 tbsp kosher salt shopping list
- 1 tsp sweet paprika shopping list
- ½ tsp nutmeg shopping list
- ¼ tsp cloves shopping list
- ½ tbsp celery seed shopping list
- ½ tsp coriander shopping list
- ¼ tsp cumin shopping list
- ¼ tsp mustard powder shopping list
- ¼ tsp turmeric shopping list
- ¼ tsp ground sumac (optional but delicious) shopping list
- ½ tsp black pepper shopping list
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar shopping list
- ¼ cup white vinegar shopping list
- 1 tbsp brown sugar shopping list
- 2 tbsp honey (or agave nectar) shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot and add the onion.
- Cook 3-5 minutes, until soft and translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, paprika, nutmeg, cloves, celery seed, coriander, cumin, mustard powder, turmeric, sumac and pepper.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Pass through a fine food mill into a clean pot.
- Stir in vinegars, brown sugar, and honey or agave.
- Simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until thick (about 1 hour). Taste and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Can in a waterbath for 30 minutes.
- Fridge in a covered container for 2 weeks.
- Freezer in a freezer-safe container for 6 months (thaw in refrigerator and whisk to re-emulsify).
The Cookjo_jo_ba Oshawa, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!