Mincemeat Meringue PieFrom notyourmomma 9 years ago
- Shell: shopping list
- 3 egg whites shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar shopping list
- 6 tablespoons of sugar shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla shopping list
- 1/4 cup of crushed pecans shopping list
- mincemeat filling: shopping list
- 2 oranges, juiced shopping list
- 1 cup of sugar, divided shopping list
- grated rind of one lemon shopping list
- slivers of orange peel, boiled in water twice, drained and dried shopping list
- 1/2 envelope of Knox unflavored gelatin shopping list
- 1 ounce of Grand Marnier or Cointreau shopping list
- 2 ounces of brandy shopping list
- 1 8 ounce jar of mincemeat shopping list
- 1 cup of heavy cream shopping list
How to make it
- Meringue Shell:
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature until tepid. Beat with cream of tartar until frothy; add sugar a little at a time beating all the while. Continue beating until very stiff. Add vanilla and fold in nuts. Pile into a nine inch pie plate, high on the sides and evenly on the bottom, making a shell. Bake at 250 degrees for 1 1/4 hours. Turn off heat, leave in oven for one hour longer.
- heat orange juice, 1/2 cup of sugar, lemon rind and orange peel. Moisten gelatin in water and stir into hot juice and sugar, peel mixture. Cook until thick and clear. Add Cointreau (Grand Marnier) and half of the brandy. Cool to room temp.
- Beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form, add remaining sugar and continue to beat til glossy but not rock hard stiff. Flavor with brandy. Break apart the mincemeat and soften with the prepared orange mixture. Fold into the whipped cream.
- Fill the completely cooled pie shell with the mincemeat fluff.
- Chill until very firm.
- Cut in wedges and serve.
The Cooknotyourmomma South St. Petersburg, FL
- Not added to any groups yet!